Saturday, April 21, 2012

It's My Birthday Tomorrow

As I sit outside enjoying my cup of coffee, I can't help reflecting on the past few birthdays I have had, whom I celebrated with, what we did, etc. But, one of my most memorable birthdays was not spent with my family blowing out birthday candles. It was spent sitting in a treatment center completing Family Week so Lindsey could come home from treatment. Although a gut-wrenching three days, I was so happy that she would be coming home and would be sober. Even after they shared the grim statistics on success of a first round of treatment, I thought, Lindsey will be fine. Little did I know. Fast forward from 2007 to now. What a difference a few years, a bright mind, and the want to change can do. If you saw Lindsey now, you would never know she was that same person who was hitting rock bottom so few years ago. Today she is going to college at Cardinal Stritch University and is working on projects that include starting her own business. She applied and of 327 applicants was accepted into the Mayo Medical Secretary Program. Upon the successful completion of her test next week, she will be gainfully employed at Mayo Clinic in Rochester. The pride we feel and the changes she has made are monumental. Of course, she has moments of anxiety, frustration, and anger, but who doesn't? The point is, she looked into the crytsal ball and didn't want to be the person she saw. I am so proud, and I am so happy that I will be celebrating another birthday tomorrow with her in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment